Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do you change the spark plugs in a '99 SAAB 9-5 SE?

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take a shot at it myself. I figure it will be hard and require a full days work, but if I can save the 100+ dollars firestone wants to charge, its worth learning. What kind of spark plugs do I need? The guy at autozone gave me platinums.How do you change the spark plugs in a '99 SAAB 9-5 SE?There is a good web site that will give you step by step instructions as well as pictures on how to do it. Also, it gives you a page to order the plugs you need. It is:



http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95faqs.htm…



Here is the page to order the plugs from Bosch:



http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95ignition…



Here is the link to how to change the plugs:



http://www.thesaabsite.com/Sparkplugremo…



With those two web pages, you should be set. I have followed them myself with no problems.How do you change the spark plugs in a '99 SAAB 9-5 SE?I assume you have the 4 cylinder model and didn't get the upgrade to 6 cylinder. Changing the spark plugs is one of the easiest procedures on Saab vehicles. Take out the 4 bolts that hold down the Direct Ignition cassette. It is right on top and has %26quot;Direct Ignition%26quot; imprinted on it. Pull up on the Direct Ignition cassette and put it off to the side. You now have direct access to the spark plugs and can remove them in the normal way with a spark plug socket and a short extension on your ratchet. If you have the plugs properly gapped when you start the job, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes even if this is your first time.



BTW, Platinum plugs are not recommended for Saabs - they can cause engine performance problems and premature Direct Ignition cassette failure. The standard, copper core resistor plugs, preferably NGK (but I have also used Champion and Delco without any problems) are recommended. Change them every 20,000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment