Friday, September 23, 2011

I purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?

I also replaced fuel filter but it just won't start what can I do to get this baby runningI purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?I'm guessing your big Caddy has the 425 cubic inch V-8. Depending on options, that engine had either a 4-barrel carburetor or throttle body fuel injection. Regardless of the type fuel system, i'd think it is safe to say that if it's been sitting for a year, it needs the carb or throttle body removed and the jets/nozzles need to be cleaned to remove gum and varnish left by evaporating gasoline.I purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?That did the trick. My fuel lines were full of gunk and this is after I replace the fuel filter. Now she's purring like a kitten I'm glad that worked. THANKS!!!

Report Abuse

I purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?I would suggest that you can't go wrong by changing pugs and wires but make sure that you are getting fuel and spark . Pour a splash of fuel into the carb or throttle body replace the filter cover and try cranking it. Should work If i recall that year had the HEI ignition with the coil under the cap if you don't get spark check the electrode that comes from the coil to the rotor if it's worn out replace it.I purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?As stated already, check for spark %26amp; fuel.



If you need some more detailed info, try the site below. It's a wealth of help.



http://www.aa1car.com/common_car_problem



Good Luck once you're up and runningI purchased a 1983 cadillac fleetwood that's been sitting up for a year. change spark plugs and wires?Your problem is most likely the gas left in the vehicle for that amount of time. Even on my motorcycle and lawn mowers I drain the tanks and carburetors every spring before starting them. Take the cover off of the air cleaner and gas it a couple of times, if it smells like kerosene or fuel oil it's bad. That should also tell you if you actually have gas in the carb. and the needle valve isn't stuck. If it is stuck and the carb. is empty, take the fuel line off the carb. and spray carburetor cleaner through the inlet. As long as you have spark and fuel it should fire up.

No comments:

Post a Comment